How-to take care of your hamster!

I have much experience with hamsters. In fact, I am actually a hamster breeder! I will be giving you some life-tips on how you can create a safe environment for your little critter. I have had over 60 hamsters in just the past 6 years. Here is what I have found best to tending after your fuzzy friend.

If you are looking to get a hamster or already have one, evaluate your circumstances.

Make sure you have the proper cage, equipment, and household. Hamsters need a medium-sized cage in order to stay happy. But, if it is on the smaller end, don’t worry! just make sure your hamster gets out regularly so they don’t feel confined in a small space all the time. After you make sure your cage is ready, move on to your equipment. Do you have the proper food, toys, or bedding? Yes! all of these things matter. Make sure your hamster has healthy food (which you can get at the pet store) so that they stay nice and healthy. Toys aren’t necessary but they do keep your hamster entertained. Make sure the toys are healthy for hamsters to nibble on and play with because you don’t want your hamster getting sick. Next, your household. Do you have a chaotic household? if you do, a hamster might not be the best pet for you. Hamsters are nocturnal and need to sleep in peace. If they don’t get this, they can once again, die from stress. Also think about your family. Are there are rough small children? if so, maybe wait off to get a hamster until they are a bit older.  If they possibly come into reach with the hamster, STRESS STRESS STRESS! your hamster may feel threatened if a young kid comes into their enclosure and spooks them. *Stress is a huge issue with hamsters, so make sure you don’t freak them out*

Once you get your hamster make sure to LEAVE IT ALONE. If you immediately try to handle your hamster, it can become stressed and develop wet-tail which is one of the most serious diseases a hamster can have. So, do NOT touch your hamster for at least 5-6 days. Experts say a week, but it personally hasn’t affected any of my hamsters if I was a day or two early to start holding them.

Two or more hamsters? make sure you leave them separate at all times. If not, there may be some unexpected hamster litters, or one may just kill the other… I know, it is crazy!

Clean your hamsters cage! hamsters need hygiene too. Clean the cage and replace the bedding every 2-3 weeks to maintain a clean environment for your critter.

Play with them! your hamster wants to get out and get to know their owner! let them run around outside with SUPERVISION, or let them roll around in a hamster-ball. They will feel more and more comfortable with their owner. Yes! they recognize you and your scent. If you play with your hamster you will have an unbreakable bond!

I hope you guys enjoyed my how-to take care of your hamster post! Let me know if I should mention hamsters more on my blog.